Headquartered in the upper Ottawa Valley of Ontario, Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL) is a world leader in nuclear science and technology offering unique capabilities and solutions across a wide range of industries. Highly skilled employees enthusiastically deliver a variety of nuclear services ranging from research and development, design and engineering to specialized technology, waste management and decommissioning. Canadian Nuclear Laboratories is actively working to strengthen existing relationships and forge new ones with government, with industry, and with academia. The research and development program areas include the five theme areas of the Federal Science and Technology (S&T) Program and provide a suitable program organization for work for other government agencies and commercial work. As Canada’s premier nuclear science and technology (S&T) organization, CNL serves the nation as an enabler of business innovation and technology transfer.
The Opportunity: The purpose of the Science & Technology (S&T) Business office is to provide the organization with the tools and expertise necessary to manage the organization’s financial and business needs in areas of planning, business proposals and contracting, project management, and financial stewardship (infrastructure funding and investments). The S&T Business Director serves as the financial and business liaison to Vice President (VP) of Science & Technology and serves as the single point-of-contact for all direct and indirect financial and project planning, funding, business volume forecasting, and FTE projections. They also serve as the interface with the central PMO in reporting budget projections, burden rates and other business functions.
The S&T Business Director provides leadership, management, oversight, and guidance to Planning Control Coordinators (PCCs), Business Development Operations, Finance and other personnel and assigned organization(s) in all aspects of Business Management processes, policies, and procedures for direct, indirect, and/or operating/capital funded projects. Engages in the development and enhancement of business and project management systems, strategy, tools, and processes. Maintains financial integrity, enhances human capital development, supports Business Management and laboratory-wide initiatives, and bridges mission strategy to execution. Analyzes data, highlights problem areas, and assists in developing corrective actions for potential financial issues (this may involve working with managers and employees within and external to the functional directorate organizations). Ensures staff planning and information is aligned with financial data and strategic objectives developed by the S&T VP. Coordinates, consolidates, and composes/prepares financial and project control data/reports for the organization. Performs special tasks as directed by the S&T VP. Acts as a Work Package Manager for assigned indirect work scope under the S&T organization.
- Serving as the financial/business liaison to assigned VP Science and Technology
- Functioning as S&T’s single point-of-contact for all direct and indirect financial and project planning, funding, business volume forecasting, and FTE projections.
- Providing leadership, support, guidance, and oversight regarding the implementation of financial and project control principles, processes, and procedures.
- Monitoring and reporting on scope, schedule, and cost including the identification of soft spots in budgets and/or schedules.
- Providing oversight of budgets, schedules, and spending for assigned programs/projects to ensure work scope is completed consistent with business and project management procedures; providing fiduciary oversight regarding all financial matters pertaining to Science and Technology.
- Preparing financial and project control data/reports for all responsible direct and indirect funded budgets. Reports include analysis of performance, identification of problem areas, and suggested corrective action(s).
- Establishing strategies, and recommending solutions, to address cost, schedule, and scope issues/risks, such as changing rate models, establishing overhead and/or service center rates, and integration of CNL scope between multiple directorates
- Providing technical expertise in support of various internal and external audits, reviews, and self-assessments
- Serving as the interface with the Central PMO in reporting budget projections, burden rates and other business functions.
- Proper cost and accounting management of direct and indirect funded work including operating/capital projects/LDST (i.e., financial integrity)
- Adherence to business and project management control policies and procedures and applicable budgeting, accounting, cost estimating, contracts, and government regulations.
- Stewardship of employees
- Setting clear direction (including roles and responsibilities) and priorities for the project controls team.
- Proper cost and accounting management of Third Party Commercial Contracts
- Margin Metrics associated with Third Party Commercial Contracts
- 10+ years’ experience overseeing and supervising a broad range of business functions and employees
- Working experience with EVMS (Earned Value Management System) required.
- Significant experience and knowledge in commercial contracting and reporting, business systems & tools, Gross/Net margin, profit and loss.
- A clear understanding of Third Party Commercial Contracting, preferred
- Proven cost management and scheduling excellence
- Solid background in financial and project control principles, processes and procedures
- Education and Certifications: Bachelor’s degree in Business Management or related business discipline. Master’s Degree or other advanced degree is an asset.
- Experience translating strategies into concrete work activities, prioritizing and developing initiatives to enhance operational efficiency.
- Strong business acumen
- Excellent and effective communication skills in relating to team members, senior management and other stakeholders
- Experience working collaboratively and cross-functionally and considers and understands the impact of decisions on other areas of the company.
The successful candidate will be offered an attractive salary, management incentive plan bonus, excellent benefits, and relocation assistance.