Southern Company is America’s premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries. Southern Nuclear Operating Company, headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama, operates Southern Company’s six nuclear reactors units for Alabama Power and Georgia Power at the Joseph M. Farley Nuclear Plant near Dothan, Ala.; the Edwin I. Hatch Nuclear Plant near Baxley, Ga., and the Alvin W. Vogtle Electric Generating Plant near Waynesboro, Ga. Southern Nuclear is the licensee of two new nuclear units currently under construction at Plant Vogtle, which are among the first nuclear units being constructed in the United States in more than 30 years.
Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America’s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune’s annual World’s Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings.
The top priority for Southern Nuclear, a Southern Company, is the safety and health of the public, their employees and the environment. They are committed to the safe operation of their nuclear generating facilities with equipment and systems that meet strict Nuclear Regulatory Commission safety and design regulations. Each Southern Nuclear employee is committed to instilling Institute for Nuclear Power Operations’ “Principles for a Strong Nuclear Safety Culture” in every aspect of their responsibilities.
The Opportunity: The Site Financial Operations Manager position provides local leadership and direction for accounting, budgeting, management reporting, cost control, and financial decision-making at Southern Nuclear’s Plant Farley. This position reports to the Fleet Financial Operations Director in Financial & Business Operations and serves as a member of Farley’s senior leadership team in support of the Site Vice President.
Reports To: Fleet Financial Operations Director in Financial & Business Operations
Location: Plant Farley, near Dothan, Alabama
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as primary oversight for – and provide assurance of – compliance with fleet financial policies, processes, and
- Interact with – and provide financial direction to – multiple levels of management, including executives, regarding accounting, budgeting, and other financial issues. Serve as an active member of the Farley’s senior leadership
- Oversee the development, approval, and execution of Farley’s budgets such that they comply with regulatory requirements, meet the strategic objectives of SNC and Alabama Power, and are supported by SNC senior
- Ensure annual budget development and analysis is efficient, effective, and consistent with SNC fleet standards and that assumptions are appropriately challenged.
- Ensure budget execution, including cost categorization, is consistent with SNC fleet
- Oversee implementation of best practices that support fleet goals, schedules, and processes.
- Monitor the effectiveness of departments’ management and accountability for spending and provide meaningful feedback as
- Lead Farley’s cost analysis and monthly re-projection process, refueling outage cost estimating and daily tracking, and development of management reports that enable Farley’s line organizations to collectively make prudent cost-related
- Drive a culture of excellence in optimization of station costs, including O&M, capital, inventory, and all elements of cost drivers therein, to increase the value of Farley’s generation.
- Leverage tools and relationships to drive increasingly strategic and intrusive methods to achieve this
- SNC cost owner relationships/knowledge
- Monthly reports and oversight meetings
- Peer team best practices
- Et cetera
- In collaboration with Farley’s senior leadership team, fleet peer team, and other fleet personnel, identify cost efficiencies and prioritize
- Provide guidance, opportunities, and a work environment that enable employees to achieve departmental and company business objectives, as well as their desired professional
- Oversee, manage, and develop direct reports so that there is a productive, inclusive, and efficient environment, desired business results are achieved, and credible ready-now successors are
- Ensure quality career development plans are in place and provide regular, meaningful feedback is
- Understanding and application of accounting principles and pronouncements and public service commission orders.
- Working knowledge of the FERC system of accounts, basic public utility operations, and regulatory utility ratemaking concepts strongly
- Professional with demonstrated excellence in operational accounting, budgeting, and cost control (nuclear, generation, transmission, distribution, manufacturing, ).
- Understanding of the Governance, Oversight, Support, and Perform (GOSP) Model a plus.
- Understanding of the Southern Company business model and Alabama Power ratemaking mechanism strongly
- Strong supervisory, teambuilding, and employee-development
- Ability to bring consensus and buy-in among people with different views and
- Ability to influence individuals outside of formal reporting relationships, including peers and senior
- Strong communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively tailor and deliver information to all levels in the organization.
- Ability to think strategically, implement tactically, innovate, and make timely
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple assignments simultaneously and manage team to produce timely
- At least 5 years of experience in financial and accounting disciplines, including financial planning and analysis, and budgeting. 7-10 years of experience is preferred
- Must exhibit the Our Values – Safety First, Unquestionable Trust, Superior Performance, Total Commitment
- Safety First: Work safety every day, every job.
- Unquestionable Trust: Honesty, respect, fairness and integrity drive behaviors. Keeps promises and has ethical behavior as a standard
- Superior Performance: Dedicated to superior performance and sets high expectations. Priorities are safety first, teamwork and diversity and continuous improvement through leadership
- Total Commitment: Committed to success of employees, customers, and shareholders and to citizenship and stewardship
- Must exhibit strong ownership skills, proactive traits, and good interpersonal skills.
- The candidate must be highly motivated, able to work with the group and with minimal supervisor.
- The ability to develop good relationship with plant personnel is a must.
- The successful candidate must hold himself/herself accountable for personal safety and must model safe behaviors.
The successful candidate will be offered an attractive salary and excellent benefits including relocation assistance.