Bruce Power is Canada’s only private sector nuclear generator and operates the largest nuclear facility in the world with 8 CANDU reactors, producing 6,400 MW, or more than a third of Ontario’s electricity from its 2,300-acre site. The company employs approximately 4,200 people and in the last 10 years has been the single largest private investor in Ontario’s electricity infrastructure with a total injection of $7 billion in the Bruce Power site.
Over the next two decades, Bruce Power will undertake a series of large-scale construction/renewal projects to life extend six units which will ensure the site will continue to produce at 30% of Ontario’s energy needs until 2060 and beyond. These projects are part of a $13 billion, multi-year investment program ensuring Bruce Power’s strong commitment to sustainability. Situated on the Lake Huron shoreline between the towns of Kincardine and Saugeen Shores, Bruce Power offers world class technology with small town living, a wonderful place to work, play and raise a family.
The Vice President, Bruce B is fully responsible for the safe and reliable operation of the Bruce B Nuclear Units. Bruce B has four operating units; one of which will go into full refurbishment in January of 2020. He/she will be directly accountable to the Executive Vice President and Chief Nuclear Officer of Bruce Power.
Reports to: Executive Vice President and Chief Nuclear Officer
Location: Saugeen Shores / Kincardine, Ontario
As a member of the Executive Team, sustainable results will be accomplished by:
- Be part of setting the overall business direction in accordance with the mandate provided by the Board of Directors.
- Providing overall leadership to the safe and reliable operation of four nuclear units in Bruce B.
- Serving as a role model for Bruce Power’s vision and values and fostering a culture of safety and integrity among executive officers and throughout the organization.
- Fostering co-operation and buy-in with organized labour to drive collective success at Bruce Power for all constituents.
- Accountable for all aspects of Nuclear Operations including regulatory requirements and close cooperation and partnership on projects including life extension of the Bruce Power Units, plant modification and projects.
- Defining Bruce B’s Organization and positional roles and responsibilities. Ensure, suitably qualified and experienced persons, and other necessary resources are identified and available.
- Champions, leads and implements initiatives to establish best industry standards and proven nuclear safety principles and world class organizational behaviours.
- Driving continual improvement in performance.
- Effectively engaging in dialogue and continuing to develop critical relationships with suppliers, contractors,community, environmental, social, government, and other stakeholder groups to understand and mitigate issues and concerns.
- Clearly evaluating evolving risks and implementing measures to mitigate risks related to the organization’s resources, projects, safety, people, assets, finances and corporate image.
- University degree in an applicable Engineering field or a relevant Technical degree, ideal. Or have demonstrated equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- Minimum 15 years of progressively more responsible senior leadership experience in engineering, operations,outages or projects in a highly regulated industry, preferably with demonstrated nuclear experience and / or exposure.
- Successes in Maintenance or Outage / Work Management, ideal.
- The ideal candidate will have been a Licensed Operator at some point in their career.
- Committed to personal excellence, along with excellence and innovation in the workplace. Encourages others to achieve personal excellence.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to set vision and goals and communicate them effectively across an organization. Known to inspire and motivate others through their own example, instilling enthusiasm and commitment.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Has an open, honest and consistent approach to working with others. Ability to communicate effectively at all levels, both informally and formally. Is an active listener, able to build rapport and show empathy. Excellent presentation skills
Bruce Power is seeking someone who can make a long-term commitment and has the willingness and desire to progress through the organization
The successful candidate will be offered an attractive salary and benefits commensurate with the position.